Who I am...

Just more rambling from yet another homeschooling mom. I hope that I can honestly share my struggles and triumphs in this journey. I would love to inspire and encourage others, because if I can do it - so can you!!

WHAT TO EXPECT . . .

schooling, cooking, baking, studying, working, photographing, eating, writing, playing, learning, praying, loving, imagining, creating, crying, hugging, laughing, giggling, mess-making, sleeping

8 Weeks to a Well-Behaved Child

I can't remember where I got this book by James Windell, but I know I got it when I had only 2 children, and my oldest was quite young. There has been a lot of fussing and fighting in my house lately, and I never want my children to grow up thinking Mommy and Daddy were mad at them all the time. So, I really want to work on my discipline style. Especially on keeping my voice low, and effectively letting my kids know I am disappointed in their behavior with just a look! So, we are starting this 8-week program, and I thought I should blog about the experience. We'll see where it goes!

The first week's homework assignment is two-fold. First, keep track of every time a critical remark is made to a child, watching for excessive anger and disappointment and keep a running tally of all negative and critical remarks made. Second, make a list of 10 things you like and appreciate about your child. "List the child's strengths, assets, good qualities, positive traits, and aspects of appearance, personality, or temperament that are likely to helpl rather than hinder him or her in life . . ."

So that is what I am going to record here for each child this week:

Ainsley
  1. Enthusiasm for life
  2. A love of reading
  3. Friendliness
  4. Sense of humor
  5. Very intelligent
  6. Passionate
  7. Innocent and trusting
  8. Innovative
  9. Persevering
  10. Imaginative and creative

Liberty
  1. Steadfast and loyal
  2. Sensitive and tender
  3. extrememly dextrous and athletic
  4. Smart
  5. Funny
  6. Has a wonderful memory
  7. Extrememly observant
  8. A strong desire to be helpful
  9. Creative
  10. Kind to those in need

Melody
  1. Funny
  2. Adorable
  3. Smart
  4. Persuasive
  5. Persistent
  6. Considerate
  7. Kind
  8. Creative
  9. Playful
  10. Athletic
So that is the beginning, I will post week 2 in a couple of days, as we are already about halfway through week 1.

Anyone care to join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment